Wednesday, October 6, 2010

New Chemo date!!

New date is set for two weeks from tomorrow, on Oct. 21. I have been receiving conflicting information from everyone on where to put my port next, but we are going to let this site heal (from the massacre of last weekend), and try it again in the same spot (right). I got nerve pain meds this time, so I am prepared. If that doesn't work, we'll go to the left, and if that doesn't work, we'll to go a catheter in my neck. Everyone please PRAY for no nerve pain this time around!! I (also) had my last drain removed so am doing self massage, etc. so I don't have to deal with a seroma.

My daily life has become less hectic, although now I'm spending my time researching foundations (financial assistance) or researching/calling ppl about ports, getting opinions, etc. So now instead of reading all of the time (cancer college) I'm now on the computer or phone (still cancer college, just a different aspect.) I do have to say that I feel sorry for all of the people who have to go through this who cannot/will not speak up for themselves. I have to be my own advocate, and I have had to be strong willed (ie; calling the doctor, and his nurse saying I had to speak to her, so telling her to get a pen because I want this verbatim! And I DID make her read it back to me! What am I paying him for if he won't even speak to me?) I've also had to say no to some strong willed nurses, which is not fun. Nobody likes a bitchy nurse.

Another thing good that has come of this - when I had friends over in GR, I had some wine, but it took me until the end of the night. I looked at Barb and said "I haven't wanted a cigarette at all tonight!!!" There's a first time for everything. So, I haven't had one in over a month. Yeah for me!

I want to thank a few ppl for  a few things: Jill, who sent me a brand new pair of Teva's - I'm already wearing them(and I will until it snows - JK) Jen Smock in Petoskey who sent me an Amazon gift card, which I'm saving for later, and Sue Porter who I used to work with gave me some awesome Aloe Vera body wash, which I'm also saving for later! The best one this week was a friend from college's mom sent me at least 20 magazine's (and 2 halloween decorations that the kids promptly took over). Thanks Laura's mom - you rock!! (ps - I'm accepting any old magazine's - things to thumb through during the 2 hours it takes to get  chemo). That's about all for now. Peace, love and all of that........... Darci

1 comment: